Monday, March 16, 2009

The end of an era

This weekend we spent 3 hours at the NY DMV.   I registered my car, got NY plates, registered to vote, signed up to be an organ donor and handed over my beloved California driver license.  While I have lived other places, never since I was 16 years old have I been without a CA license, because I was always coming home.  I've been saying that I will die in Buffalo, as long as I could find my car in the Target parking lot by its CA plates it wasn't really real to me.  The idea that I will never leave this place was still so abstract.  Someday I will love Buffalo.  I will love the snow.  I will love the beautiful summers.  I will love the people.  I will love the community.  I will call this place home.  But Saturday, when I left the DVM without my CA license, I drove back to my apartment and I cried.

No comments:

Post a Comment